Prescription medications for psoriasis offer patients a better chance than ever before for significant skin clearance of the red, white, or silvery patches on their skin (as well as other potential symptoms, such as itching, nail changes, or cracking skin). There’s never been a better chance than there currently is for so many patients to experience positive outcomes when treating psoriasis.
However, these medications are not a perfect solution. With that in mind, a comprehensive plan that incorporates lifestyle changes (e.g., selecting soaps and lotions with care, managing stress, etc.) can be supportive in caring for psoriasis-affected skin and improving quality of life.
There is one more factor that bears consideration: body weight. In a recent review of ten clinical trials looking into diet and exercise, the conclusion drawn was this:
“This review recommends that physicians encourage their patients to follow a healthier lifestyle aimed at reducing weight and follow an exercise regimen as a method to improve psoriasis symptoms.”Alotaibi HA. Effects of weight loss on psoriasis: A review of clinical trials. Cureus DOI: 10.7759/cureus.3491
Overweight patients with psoriasis who lose even a modest amount of weight garner benefits in terms of greater areas of skin clearance. Weight loss improved skin outcomes in patients being treated with biologic medication (compared to a control group on biologics, but without weight loss efforts).
Taking into account the additional health benefits of weight management to overall health, it’s clear that the advice to lose weight holds merit for overweight psoriasis patients. BioPlus is always available as a resource for anyone with questions about psoriasis or questions about their psoriasis treatment: 866-514-8082.
In the meantime, consider these five steps for weight loss suggested by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Step 1: Make a commitment to yourself to lose weight. Write down your goal and identify some dietary changes that can help reach your goal, such as cutting out soda or other sugary drinks.
- Step 2: See where you are starting, by tracking your current food choices for a few days. This will help you become aware of additional potential areas for change. Brainstorm ways to improve your lifestyle (Can you walk at lunchtime at work? Can you join a gym?).
- Step 3: Set goals, but use multiple short-term timeframes. If you want to lose 40 pounds, set yourself goals for smaller amounts of weight loss and when you reach the first goal, move on to the next.
- Step 4: Seek out support and information.
- Step 5: Continue to monitor your progress and revise your strategies.
BioPlus Specialty Pharmacy Earns #1 Independent Specialty Pharmacy Ranking in Physician Satisfaction Survey
BioPlus Specialty Pharmacy, a leading independent specialty pharmacy, is proud to announce a #1...