When your patients need specialty medications for a complex or chronic condition, the choice of specialty pharmacy matters. Experts including Heather Bonome, Pharm.D., director of pharmacy for URAC, the Washington, D.C.–based accrediting organization, recently presented best tips for successful clinical protocol programs at the most recent ASHP Clinical Meeting.
This ASHP session highlighted eight steps which are crucial as best practices for serving the specialty medication needs of patients:
- Start with an initial assessment to determine which clinical services are needed, based on diagnosis, comorbidities, and medical history.
- Take the opportunities to collaborate with other providers involved with the patient.
- Ensure changes to the plan-of-care are visible to all involved parties.
- Consider patient health literacy, especially when it comes to medication safety and compliance.
- Ask about patient changes at each touchpoint, such as during refills.
- Note clinical interventions and outcomes.
- Incorporate digital tools to improve patient engagement.
- Optimize any technology involved to smooth out pain points during the care process.
“Proper planning, thorough education, consistency, occasional reassessment, and the ability to adjust when necessary,” all play a role in the best care for specialty pharmacy patients, shared Dr. Bonome.
BioPlus Specialty Pharmacy is proud to be on the vanguard in following best practices of specialty pharmacy care for our patients. We know that an active partnership between patients, prescribers, and the specialty pharmacy empowers patients and supports optimal outcomes.
Give your patients best-in-class service by referring to BioPlus today.
SKYRIZI™ Now Available From BioPlus for Moderate to Severe Plaque Psoriasis
BioPlus Specialty Pharmacy, one of the nation’s leading innovative specialty pharmacies, is...
BioPlus Specialty Pharmacy Earns #1 Independent Specialty Pharmacy Ranking in Physician Satisfaction Survey
BioPlus Specialty Pharmacy, a leading independent specialty pharmacy, is proud to announce a #1...
BioPlus Launches California-Based Specialty Pharmacy to Better Serve Local Communities
California patients and providers now have greater access to the ‘Power of 2’ promise as BioPlus...
BioPlus Specialty Pharmacy Ensures Continuity of Care Ahead of Dorian
BioPlus Specialty Pharmacy, one of the nation’s leading innovative specialty pharmacies, passes...